"Giving new life to old wood"

Friday, March 05, 2004

Let's get caught up.
Last weekend came and went. This week has passed and now we are at today.

So I am heading out of town this weekend to visit my good friend Ben. He and his wife, Sherry, just recently bought a house in Norfolk, VA. They did a lot of self improving and I am anxious to see their first home together. Couple that with Sherry hosting a baby shower at said house and Ben needed to be rescued to save his male genitalia. So I am flying up Sat morn to hang out and we are playing golf Sunday morn at a course I have fond memories of from my adolesence. Although i hear from my grandfather that holes 11 and 12 have gone under serious changes since I last played it 13 years ago. I can still remember every hole.

Golfers have this unique ability, regardless of educational backgroud, IQ, or aptitude for remebering things, they always can seem to remember courses they have played. I mean, usually hole by hole. Sometimes even as far as remembering shots taken on a specific round. Aside from the red letter shots such as my hole-in-one on June 20, 1990 on the 180yd 5th hole at Salisbury CC in Midlothian, VA around 11:30AM using a 5 iron and catching it thick and watching it roll over the hill in the green somewhere near the flagstick but not actually knowing it went in until my friend Kevin Hetzel walked up to the hole and did the obligatory touchdown-arm raise, "It's in!". But there are other shots and rounds of golf that i remember vividly even so far back as 15 years ago. Uncanny if you ask me. I guess that is what sport does to you. It just leaves such an impact and impression on your life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home